Sunday, March 18, 2012

People are basically good

When we were growing up, my mom used to always say "People are basically good" if we had issues with someone or something they did.  And I agree, people are good, especially children.

I have never called myself a "kid person."  Wasn't super fond of babysitting as a teen, and was terrified when I was asked to teach the four year olds on Sundays 7 years ago.  I of course said I'd do it, and I am still with the kids on Sundays.  I love it.  It gets crazy, but they're great.  Especially today.

There is a 7 year old girl with some cognitive disabilities.  I'm not sure exactly what they are.  She doesn't say much, and most people would probably just tag her as shy since she's so quiet.  She looks like everyone else and acts pretty much like everyone else, but she's behind, and she probably doesn't speak much because she can't really talk intelligibly.

Two minute talks were assigned and somehow she was assigned to speak today.  We usually skip her since she can't speak and give her simpler tasks, but whoever made the assignments didn't know.  But she accepted and her family prepared something for her.  Her 9 year old brother went up to the microphone with her and whispered the first words of her talk into her ear for her to repeat.  She garbled a few words out, and then he put his arm around her and read the rest of the talk for her with her standing safely next to him.  When he was done he helped her close it out, then gave her a few reassuring pats on her shoulder before they sat down.

It turns out the girl's birthday was today, too. So although we usually reserve singing for the first Sunday and just include everyone for the month, we decided to sing again just for her.  On her way back to her seat after the singing was over, enthusiastic "Happy birthdays" rang out from probably every child in the room.  I really don't think the kids were making a big deal of anything or thinking about her differences at all.  I think they were just celebrating the birthday of one of their friends.

It was all so sweet.  The kids are all so great.  The girl's brother is such a good brother.

The brother reminded me of another brother, a big brother who looks out for his little sister.  He's only four, but he swears he will always protect her.  His dreams are even filled with him fighting monsters, making sure they don't get to her, even if he gets hurt in the process.  I'm certain if the need ever arose, he, too would be there with an arm around her shoulder, helping her with whatever she needed.

So, I agree with my mom.  People are good.

5 comments:

Brooke said...

what a wonderful message :) and such an adorable picture! I love Ellie's smile and Benny is an awesome big brother. Love you guys!

Tim and Kristi Corless said...

How precious! Children are so pure and loving. . . they teach us so much. I love this picture! What a good big brother!

Lori said...

that is a very sweet message. and you are right. people are basically good and there is more good out there than we realize sometimes. What a sweet story and what a sweet photo of your kids. Benny is a good big brother.

kimiko said...

That makes me want to cry! Sometimes kids are so mean to each other, and other times they are so sweet. Overall, I think they are much nicer to each other than adults are. We get too wrapped up in petty things.

Tim said...

This post made me cry! Children are so compassionate and I'm glad the little Primary girl and Ellie have such terrific brothers. Wish I could see you all. Aunt Karen