Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Walking faster

...than we have strength is a no-no.
And I think we often-times do this.

For example, I got sick over the holidays. But it was the holidays and I wasn't going to let being sick slow me down. So I baked. I shopped. I cooked. I entertained.
And I made Friendship Bread. I was feeling sicker and sicker, but the dough was already past its day to be baked so I couldn't put it off any longer. And I was going to bake them all and THEN give them away. So I baked 8 mini loaves, 2 medium loaves, and one regular. I made tags and got ready to deliver. Except by then I was too exhausted. I went to bed. I went to bed the next day. And those little loaves of bread dried out. They eventually became too gross to give to anyone. And they all went into the trash.

And maybe wasting 8 mini loaves is not a huge deal in the big picture, but it just kind of hit me that I had been a bit maniacal with my doing stuff. It is ok to slow down.
So, I am going to work on prioritizing and doing things that matter. Sometimes we just can't do everything.

7 comments:

Carrie said...

Seriously, Kari, slow down! You're amazing!

kimiko said...

Last Christmas I ended up throwing away a lot of zucchini bread and muffins. I'm glad I'm not the only one and that the organized guru is human after all. :)

Lori said...

smart idea. i know we all get like that trying to keep going when our bodies are telling us to slow down. and the you are forced to slow down.

you are great! who cares about the loaves!

Wynette said...

Well...I really liked your family picture and even if I am not a neighbor, it was sure fun to get. Kimiko's too!

Steven & Adrienne said...

I have done that before...we even had an extra plate that a person wasn't home the night we tried, and we forgot the next day, so by the next day we just ate the stale cookie plate...I have the friendship bread on my counter, so thanks for reminding me I need to mix it today...

Oh and the comment on Ben's cooking cracked me up because Steve told Emily how horrible of a cook I was and Emily didn't believe him...those two are way too much alike!!!:)

Brooke said...

I ended up getting sick this past weekend. Two days of throwing up torture. I too, think it was a wake-up call to slow down. I hope I can remember this so that I don't have to be forced to slow down because I can't leave the bathroom for more than 5 min

mom2JJ said...

It's happened to me too. Too many times! Too bad we need wake up calls, right? I hope you enjoy your weekend and that you can RELAX a little. Have a great day!