Friday, November 13, 2009

Of mice and gum


Warning: lots of talk about my child
We have had a small rodent issue the past week or two. We were able to get rid of Rouse. Ben took him outside, still alive. Well, he either came back or one of his friends came over, but we saw one more. So we thought we better go for the kill this time. I bought some mouse traps and had them semi-strategically placed; placed well for the mouse, and semi-hidden from small hands.
Yesterday morning I was in the kitchen and heard a "snap!" followed immediately by crying. I just went "oh no" inside and fond Benny running toward me with a mouse trap stuck to his finger. I felt terrible, especially as he is so good about these things and gets over them quickly (although I'd probably feel really bad if he cried and cried forever, too). I removed the trap, he said "sharp! ouchie!", had me kiss it better, and went on his merry way. All day he would say "ouch!" if he happened to see it again (out of the way and not active).

When Ben got home, I told him of the morning, and of course he felt bad that we had left the trap where small hands could reach it. Not long after this conversation we heard another snap followed by crying. Even with all the "ouchie" talk all afternoon, Benny found the one remaining trap and had to have it removed from his other hand. 2 traps in one day! I feel terrible but it was also kind of amusing because he is so cute about these kinds of things. The funniest is that whenever he gets hurt, I give him a hug and tell him I'm sorry that happened. So now whenever he gets hurt, he says "I sorry, I sorry."

Now on to the gum portion. Benny LOVES mints and often is scavenging in my purse for anything he can eat. I have told him in the past not to eat gum as it is yucky for his tummy. That doesn't stop him from eating it, though. I got out of the shower to find an entire package of gum wrappers on my bed, with Benny proudly proclaiming, "Gum! Yucky!" I asked him if he ate all that gum, and he, without hesitation, announced "Yeah!" Like, of course, Mom, what do you think I did with all that gum. I cleaned everything up, told him not to eat anymore, and then noticed something in his mouth as I turned to leave.
Me: Benny, what's in your mouth?
Benny: Gum!
So enthusiastic, he is.

And this is just a cool pic at that awesome children's museum in Sausalito

2 comments:

kimiko said...

I love the picture of Benny with his hand on his head. Why was he so frustrated? It is definitely going on the calendar. Did you find a big wad of gum in his diaper the next day?

Court and Jill said...

No way. 2 traps in one day?? He's a tough kiddo.

Cute pics~!