Saturday, July 4, 2009

Happy Birthday Ben and USA!

What a great day to celebrate Ben's birthday, the same day as our nation. He is even named partially after one of history's great men, Benjamin Franklin.
We started the festivities by having our friends Steve and Adrienne over for dinner and a game of Rock Band. I can't find the pic of all of them rocking out, but here is second best. Steve and Ben have known each other since high school and are very similar in a lot of ways. Steve had quite the knack for the guitar, and Adrienne was an "awesome" singer.
The next day we went to Ben's mom's and sister's house for a barbecue. Costco cake is the best!
Yes, Ben got a hammer for his birthday. And of course there's a story that goes with that.
And for the 1st time in 6 years, Ben let us go to fireworks! We wanted to take Benny and let him see all the lights. This is him during the fireworks show:
We ended up just parking the car outside Thanksgiving Point and letting him sleep while we sat on the grass on the side of the road. It was actually quite nice. I even took this lovely picture of us and our license plate:
Toward the end of the show everybody got in their cars and started driving away. All the headlights didn't add to the splendor of the show, and I commented how dumb it was that they would all leave during the fireworks finale, the best part. Why go to something if you're not going to stay to the end? This led to other questions: Why go to a game and leave before the last play? Why go to a conference and leave during the speaker's final comments? Why attend something if all you can think about is leaving in time to beat the traffic? If you are so concerned with how it's going to be leaving, can you really enjoy the whole event fully?

Ben commented that that is a problem for a lot of people in life. We are so concerned with the end result that we don't live in the moment. We don't take time to enjoy what we have now because we're worried about what comes later.

I enjoy spending time with Ben because he usually has little insights like that with pretty much everything we do, whether it be a stupid movie that really has nothing to do with anything, or something he heard someone say during the day. He always has an interesting thought and I am constantly learning from him (when he is not being a total goofball).
I'm proud to be an American, and I'm proud to be married to such a good and crazy guy! Happy birthday

2 comments:

Steven & Adrienne said...

It was a fun night eating and playing rock band...and whatever on the great singer...but Steve and Ben and you were awesome! Boy I am going to miss hanging out with you guys when you are gone.

Glad you got to see fireworks finally, and I agree with why leaving early thing...it drives me nuts...especially with conference and firesides. And Ben's insights makes me crack up because I can totally see him saying those things.

Esther said...

Happy Birthday Ben!

I agree, I love Costco cake! I don't get it often but is always such a treat when I do.

I would have never guessed that people would leave a firework show before the finale. How strange. We tried to go to fireworks but had to leave befor they started because Jordan was just so scared of the fireworks from the street and illegal fireworks around us. He still expresses a concern about fireworks every time he hears a loud noise. Poor kid.

That is a good thought about living in the moment. Life is in the journey after all. I definately need to think about that more often and just enjoy now, whatever that happens to be.