Sunday, November 7, 2010

Everybody Needs a Friend

Benny and his 3 best friends

Look at me, getting all reflective and stuff.

Several weeks ago, my sister and I went to help with a Saturday night church dinner for the women in the area. We didn't really want to help, but no one else would volunteer, so off we went. We probably didn't even help that much once we were there, and it was really hot. I hate being hot. So there we were with a bunch of old ladies filling water glasses.

We found out we wouldn't have to help the whole time and would get to enjoy the dinner, so we went to put our purses down at a table and hopefully reserve it for us and our friends. To my surprise, one of the older ladies we were working with asked where we were putting our stuff so she could put hers there too. I kind of chuckled to myself that they would want to sit with us instead of with people their age.

Once our "younger" friends showed up they came over and let us know that they were all at "The Younger Table" and were waiting for us. I smiled and said we were fine where we were, and thank you. She gave me a confused look and returned to her table.

I realized that there doesn't have to be the "young table" and the "old table." The women we sat with didn't have children at home anymore, one was widowed, and another single altogether and I am not sure of her story. They just wanted to have a fresh conversation with a friend. They just wanted to feel included, too.

And we had a great time. They are all great women. Many times we have to get out of our comfort zone because, young or old, everybody needs a friend.

3 comments:

Carrie said...

I'll leave a comment here for both your posts! What a fun trip to Utah, even though it was quick. I'm glad everything went well. Aaron's floor won a pizza lunch (as a side note).
I totally know what you mean about stepping out of your comfort zone. You've always been a really great example of that. Thanks sweetie!

kimiko said...

Sometimes we think older people want to be with people their own age, but I think they appreciate it when younger people befriend them because they are reminded of their children and grandchildren. Plus, they are often lonely and don't care about the age gap. They need a friend, just like everyone else.

Jennifer said...

We've been watching a lot of Toy Story around here lately and this post makes me think of the song "You've got a friend in me." What a good friend you are to everyone. I hope you are having a great birthday.