Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Manners


This little chef needs to learn some I guess.

Saturday we were at the store when Benny asked "what are those?" I answered they were yucky drinks (liquor bottles) and then realized he probably meant the Little People passing by. I quickly moved on, but on the way back out of the store Benny asked, "Where are my friends? I want to say hi." And there they were, a couple about Benny's size. So we chatted for no more than 2 seconds and then I rushed him out, mortified we singled these poor people out. Thankfully they were very kind, and I'm sure they get all sorts of comments and stares, but I didn't want to the be one to give them any unwanted attention.

Not even two days later we were at another store when Benny asked, very loudly, "What does that girl in blue have on her?" I looked up to see a woman in blue scrubs with light patches of skin RIGHT NEXT to us, so no time to hide or talk to him about it. I apologized to the woman, but she also was very nice and explained to him that she had "Michael Jackson Syndrome."

Thankfully the people in both these situations were very nice and knew just how to handle things, but it must be hard to be "different" and have to deal with those awkward situations all the time.

Benny and I had a talk about how we are all different, and we don't need to stare or point out these differences, but he is 2 and I would be surprised if something like this didn't happen again. I hate feeling like a terrible mom. I promise we do try to teach Benny how to be polite.

7 comments:

Lori said...

You are doing great! He is just being 2. And people older than 2, and who know better, say things they probably shouldn't. Cute Benny.

When I was about his age or a little older, I saw a lady all dressed in black clothes and yelled outloud to my mom, "Mom, there's a black lady."

Carrie said...

I'm sure Benny is fine. I'm sure most people understand and are easy going about it (in regards to little kids).

kimiko said...

He is so funny! I wouldn't worry about it. I know someone much older who would've loved to talk to the little people (although this person knows not to). Plus, you probably don't need to worry too much, until he starts dropping the F-bomb in public, like another two-year-old I know.

Kristi said...

He is so sweet! The way he worded things doesn't sound rude at all, only like someone wanting to learn more. It is so comforting when people are understanding of our little ones. I need to do better at recognizing that Gracie is still so little - I expect so much out of her already, poor thing! Oh, and I love Benny's costume! Especially when he only wore the hat! I love streaking babies!

WS said...

WOW he is getting so big!!

bigtallhorses said...

Hey Kari, this is Kristine, I hope you don't mind me dropping by. Your blog is so awesome, you are such a great Mom. And Ben is adorable. Funny that he can grab stuff with the claw, I can't do that! What an amazing kid.

Erin said...

I think you and him are completely normal.