Friday, February 12, 2010

Wow


That's all I have to say about my evening. The missionaries called me a couple days ago and asked if I could provide a ride for someone they wanted to take to the Oakland temple visitors' center. I had met her once and was more than happy to take her to meet with them.
I was not prepared for the wonderful evening I had (yes, I actually used the word "wonderful"). She was an amazing woman, and I admire her very much for the changes she is willing to make in her life and for her will to do what is right.

If only I were willing to change like that. Would I be willing to turn my entire life around like she was?
I thought about how my life has completely done a 180 the past few months, and how much I whine about it. It has not been easy. Everything is pretty much opposite of how it was. And my attitude has not always been good; in fact, it's been more negative than positive.
But tonight I was humbled, and I was very grateful that I got to provide a ride to an almost stranger, because I got way more out of it than I put in.

I write this to remind myself tomorrow when I start whining again just how much I have to be grateful for.

2 comments:

kimiko said...

I know. My life is quite different right now too, and I whine and complain way more than I should. I am humbled every time I hear of someone losing their baby or something equally horrible. There was a family in Layton with four children, and the four-year-old and fifteen-month-old died this past week. They had someone come to their home to spray for rodents, and something went wrong and the poison spread throughout their house and their two little girls died. The family is LDS and has such a great perspective and is not angry at the extermination company. I don't know if I would have such a good attitude. But I am humbled each time I hear of something like that because I still have my little Zoom Zoom and my husband and my house.

Steven & Adrienne said...

Don't you love those expereinces that humble you and make you realize how much you are truly blessed. What a great act of service you did for that lady by taking her to visitors center, and what a great act she gave in return.