Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Growing up

And I'm not talking about Benny. I'm talking about two goobers in their early 30's. I think back to 8 years ago when our friends introduced Ben and me to each other (Adrienne speaking): "Kari, let's get together since we haven't seen each other in years. We'll bring a friend for you to hang out with--he's a big goofball, and you're a big goofball, so you two will have fun together."

Several months later I got 2 baking stones as wedding gifts. I regifted both of them. I was NEVER going to be talented enough to actually make something from scratch. I also got a breadmaker and promptly packed it back up for 8 years after my 1st failed attempt using it. Couldn't even make bread from a machine.

Now I make stuff--dinners, desserts, baked goods. Ben even complimented me by telling his staff: "My wife really sucked at cooking when I met her, but now she's pretty good." What a sweetie.
Anyway, I am slowly wanting to learn how to can and do food storage stuff. Not saying I've done it yet, but I am looking into it. I made pizza from scratch, including the dough, the other day. Crafts still give me anxiety, but I wouldn't be surprised if one day I made a homemade card or something. I just need to conquer my fear of Michael's craft store.

I'm not saying all this to brag about my awesome skills, because they really aren't AWESOME, but maybe awesome.

Ben has changed, too. He used to get so caught up in sports that I would often cry because I was so frustrated with him. Now he is cancelling his sports package from DirecTV, and has missed games to do family or church activities.
I think the biggest is how much he serves others. Ben has always been a good guy since I've known him, but I definitely think he's better. Sometimes I get annoyed at how much other people need stuff and I think they should do more for themselves. But Ben doesn't complain. He just goes and does what needs to be done. I need to be more like that.
The biggest moment that sticks out to me was last week. Benny and I had been gone ALL DAY to San Jose and were exhausted. I just wanted to go home and have dinner and go to bed, but we had to stop at the store first. As we were leaving the store, the usual "Save the Children" guy was outside asking for change. And then the guy pointed out there was a lady in need of a jumpstart for her car. I was so tired I was close to tears. But I remembered two things: 1) A friend who kept having car troubles had to rely on the goodness of others on several occasions, and what if that were me needing help?
2) Ben had had us purchase jumper cables for instances such as this, so they should be used for instances such as this.

The rich-looking lady in the nice clothes with the nice car and dead battery said she didn't have any cash to give us at the moment, and I waved her off and told her I didn't expect anything. I explained we were lucky to have jumper cables because of my husband. We bought them one night when someone needed a jump and we didn't have cables. Ben had said "We really need to have cables in case someone needs help again." He didn't say "We need cables in case WE need help." He was thinking of how he could help someone else.

And that got me thinking. Eight years, 5 miscarriages, 1 child, and many, many experiences later, we're different people. We're definitely not perfect, but I hope we are better people than we were. There have been hard times, but those bring about the most good.
So happy engagement day to us (in 23 minutes)! Can't believe it's been 8 years.

***And because I'm still me, you better believe I told that lady with the dead car battery that there was an auto parts store in that very same parking lot so she'd have jumper cables in the future. Nicely, of course.

13 comments:

Carrie said...

You and Ben are the nicest people! I've told Aaron dozens of times that I would like to be like you when I finally grow up ;) You are so thoughtful of others! I wish I knew you'd be in San Jose. You could have Left Benny at our place and picked him up on your way home. I'm sure Eli would have LOVED to see his old pal!

Lori said...

What a sweet post. it made me cry. you both are so amazing and i miss you! And i know what you mean---Ben really is a great guy...and of course...and it really goes without saying- you are great too! i think so much of both of you. You are great examples and i can tell you are touching many peoples' lives every day. Thank you for your examples. truly. and happy anniversary!!!! i am so glad you found each other!

Steven & Adrienne said...

OK so I don't remember calling you guys goofballs, but it does sound like something I would say...:) You guys are amazing and perfect for eachother, I am happy we were able to get two goofballs like you guys to go out with eachother. And I am grateful that we have been able to see you guys grow as a couple and as a family...miss you guys, Happy Engagement Anniversary!!!

kimiko said...

Hey, I didn't know you got engaged on March 16. Dan and I got engaged on March 17! Yes, I would say you guys have definitely grown up. Who would've thought that you would make bread and want to can? I'm betting you will enter a Michael's voluntarily by the time 2011 is over. hee hee

Unknown said...

Kari, you are awesome!! What a great post! I wish you lived closer so we could do cooking and crafts together. I have a really easy bread recipe, bread is nothing to be scared of! I'll have to send you some of my quick and easy, but yummy recipes!! And if you start looking at blogs like iheartnaptime.blogspot.com or whipperberry.com, I'm sure you will get hooked and want to make some crafty thing soon! :)

Jennifer said...

Adrienne called you goofballs?! Funny girl. Happy engagement anniversary.

Angela Okada said...

Loved this post!!!!! You are awesome and have always been awesome! Happy Engagement Day.

Court and Jill said...

You are the cutest. I think you are AWESOME and not just awesome, by the way :)

Loved this post :)

Erin said...

Ahhh....I loved reading this. You are fabulous! :)

Maggie said...

Hey old roommate! I've always thought you're awesome :) And isn't it wonderful how our husbands and children help us "grow up."

Mrs. Patterson said...

You are so sweet! Happy engagement anniversary to you and your family. And I don't like Michael's either. It smells weird in there.

Esther said...

What a cute post! I can't beleive it has really been 8 years! Wow! I think you both are so great and perfect for each other!
I know I have come a long way in cooking and other "domestic activities" after getting married too. I still have a long way to go. It's nice to be able to look back and see improvement though.

Anonymous said...

Kari-Lynn,
Reading this post was so much fun and made me miss you terribly at the same time. I have subscribed to your blog so I plan to keep up with you!