Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Blessings

My sister Kimiko may say something about this on her own blog, but yesterday she called and told me some pretty cool information. Last week her husband got laid off (that is not the cool part) and so of course they are worried about finances. She got a letter in the mail from the student loan people saying they had forgiven the rest of her loan since she had been a reliable client! I have never heard of this! Maybe it is more common than we know, but that was so random and pretty darn amazing in my book.
I had also called her earlier in the day because I was so excited my hygiene license arrived in the mail. This means I can actually start working and earn money. After 6 months of being here and being really tight financially, it will be really nice to be able to help out if need be. And yes, I think there is a need. How the job market is, though, I do not know, but I was just excited that it finally came.

And then, today I called one of my insurance companies for the 3rd or 4th time in the past few weeks after getting a confusing letter yesterday. They are really hard to get a hold of and I was a bit frustrated with them as there were some mix-ups with my policy and payments. Basically they hadn't been charging me and ended up cancelling my policy. After getting a hold of them today, the woman I spoke with said all I had to do was fill out the form I received yesterday and submit next month's premium and everything would be put back in order. I said I didn't know if I wanted to start all over again and have a waiting period etc and she said that it actually was a glitch in their system and I had had all the correct information, so since it was their fault it would just continue with no lapse in coverage. I do not owe any back pay on past premiums for the past 6 months! It would still look like I had had coverage with them this whole time. 6 months of insurance premiums is a good chunk of money, and I am so thankful I was able to save that money because we really needed it.

I just thought it was really neat that these things happened and wanted to record them. I'm pretty good at remembering negative stuff and am working on remembering the positive stuff more. And just basically trying to write stuff down more in general. For Christmas my Grandma gave us all a book she had compiled of her thoughts and journal entries, and it is really great to have. I even wish there were more in there. So I know I need to do much, much better at recording things in my life. As boring as some of the things may be, it is important to me and I'd like to remember.

6 comments:

Lori said...

that is so great about your sister's loan! i haven't heard of that either. how great! and amazing!
i wonder if that works with mortgage companies when you are a couple of months ahead in your payments and have great credit? ; )

and so great about your license. you are being blessed for sure. and i can understand why. you guys are amazing. good job on writing more for yourself.

kimiko said...

You are being blessed because you're helping others who are unfortunate, even if you are not in the best of circumstances yourself. I need to update my blog and talk about all the blessings we've had in the past few months so I don't forget. It seems like several great things happen each week.

kimiko said...

You are being blessed because you're helping others who are unfortunate, even if you are not in the best of circumstances yourself. I need to update my blog and talk about all the blessings we've had in the past few months so I don't forget. It seems like several great things happen each week.

Lindsay said...

I love it! And I love how you can sometimes have those little tender mercies and they feel a million times bigger than they are, it is like you just have to wait until you will appreciate it the most and then you get all of those blessings.

Brooke said...

What exciting news! I wish that would happen with my student loan :) I'm so happy to hear that good things are happening for my fun cousins. Six weeks and counting (fingers crossed!) :)

Esther said...

I have heard someone else say their loan was forgiven before. It seems really rare. That is so cool for Kimiko!
It is so smart to make a point to record the good things. I need to do more of that.